In 1916, the Rev Basil Ashcroft held the first Anzac Day commemoration in the Tinui Church of the Good Shepherd, before leading villagers to the top of Mt. Maunsell (Tinui Taipo as it is known locally) to erect a permanent memorial. That wooden cross became the first Anzac memorial of its type in New Zealand and stood on the hilltop for nearly 50 years before an aluminium cross replaced it in 1965. Forty-eight people from the village died in the two world wars. Visit our Anzac page to find out more.
We are in the process of raising funds to save our historic church and have started a Givealittle page to help us achieve our goal. Please visit our page to find out more; https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/tinuianzacchurchrestoration